Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Transfers Again: An Experiment

The time for transfers has come again. And I have high hopes for it. So, I'll be working on various things I've learned over my mission and applying them all at once, and we'll see where it goes!

The first thing I'll be applying is what I've learned about charity. I intend to keep up with it. As you've seen in previous posts, charity is the pure love of Christ. It involves feeling sincere love and concern for others, even those you don't know, and showing
that love through service, through truly listening to others, through kind words. The list could go on. This transfer, I'm being moved into a new area with a companion I haven't really worked with before, so I'll be surrounded by strangers in the ward at first. And so it is a perfect opportunity to really put to the test what I've learned these last two months and see if I've truly learned it or if it's only words.

Second I will be working effectively and consistently--diligently. For me diligence means giving it your all and being consistent and driven by a strong motivation to do your best. And so that's what I intend to do. My current companion has taught me a lot about using every spare moment and not letting a second go to waste. So I plan to do just that. I'm going to study a bit more about what diligence really means, and then apply as I learn.

Third will be the value of listening to the Spirit. I've had a number of experiences where I knew the Lord was speaking through me as His representative, and I want to make that a more regular occurrence because the message I carry is always more powerful when carried by the Spirit into the hearts of the people. As a missionary I'm not here to convince people that this gospel is true, but to help them learn for themselves, through that Spirit, what path the Lord wants for them. And that can only happen if I am that instrument through which the Lord can touch their hearts.

These will be my three main focuses this transfer, over the next six weeks. The most important thing I've learned, though, is that without help from God, I can do nothing. So this next transfer I will be relying a lot on my Heavenly Father and my Savior to help me overcome my weaknesses and help me become strong. Tomorrow I go into the unknown, but with the Savior by my side. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment