Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Why I'm Serving

Hi everyone! I'm sure everyone here wants to know why anyone would want to give up a year and a half of their life to preach the Gospel to people who may not even listen, especially with all the rules missionaries have to follow. Well, I'm here to answer that question.

I was just like a lot of other girls. I had a life planned out for myself. I was going to school at Brigham Young University-Idaho, studying to be an author of young adult novels. I never really thought about going on a mission, because sisters couldn't go until they were twenty-one. And so I figured I would graduate college and then consider serving a mission.

Then came General Conference, where members of the Church listen to our prophets and apostles teach us. They also give us current revelation and counsel from God. This time, in October of 2012, our prophet, Thomas S. Monson, announced that the age requirements for missionaries had changed. Young men could now serve at age 18, whereas before they had to be 19. And sisters could now serve at 19, which was how old I was at the time. I realized I didn't have to wait. And I realized I had a big decision to make.

I listened intently to the rest of Conference, and then I started praying and fasting to know whether it was the right decision to go, because I wanted to. Everyone always talked about how amazing their missions were and how much they learned, and I wanted that for myself. I also began to have a growing desire to share the knowledge I have, and the joy I feel in this Gospel.

After a few weeks, I had received my answer. It wasn't a vision or anything remarkable. Rather, it was a quiet confirmation that either choice was acceptable to God, and my Heavenly Father trusted me enough to serve his children by serving a mission.

And so I started preparing. It was hard at first because I was at school, but as soon as I got back at Christmastime, I began the application process. I got all my paperwork in by June. Even though I started in January, it took so long because I procrastinated. I got my call to serve on July 18, 2013.

I was called to the Arizona Mesa mission, Spanish speaking. And my training would take place in the Missionary Training Center in Mexico City, Mexico! I would report on the 28th of August. I was so excited! I spent the next four weeks preparing, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, and then I was off. I said farewell to my family, school, and normal life for 18 months in order to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Hispanic people in Mesa, Arizona.

And that's where I am now. I have been out for three, almost four weeks now and it has been amazing.

Even though it's only been a short time, I have already grown so much. I have an even firmer testimony of the truth of the Book of Mormon and the reality of the Restoration by the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that this is the true Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today, and that we have the fullness of the Gospel on the earth today, the same as when Christ was on the earth.

I know that the Gospel and the Atonement of Christ can changes lives. It already has mine, and I am looking forward to even greater growth as I continue to serve and share the knowledge that I have.

So, here's to the Best 18 Months of my life!

To learn more about the Gospel and what I am teaching, visit http://mormon.org/ :)
Also, check out my Mormon.org Profile: http://mormon.org/me/957T

Originally posted 11/5/13.

No comments:

Post a Comment