Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tender Mercies

"But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he has chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance" (1 Nephi 1:22)

When we are going through a hard time--and even if we're not--there is always evidence of our Heavenly Father's love for us, and proof that He knows us perfectly. he shows us his love through what a book of Mormon prophet called "tender mercies." These can be little things, like a smile or a message from a friend you haven't talked to in a while, or it could be a miracle of something working out that you didn't think ever would.

These little things in life show us that God is mindful of us, personally. He knows who we are, and He knows "how to succor his people" (Alma 7:12). That is because we are His children, and He wants us to know of His love for us.

I have had the privilege of seeing many of these tender mercies throughout the short term of my missionary service thus far. And from now on, at the beginning of each post, I will describe a tender mercy I've experienced since the last post. Here's my first one:

It's been a long, difficult week and we've been having trouble with one investigator who is super sincere, but hasn't yet committed to doing everything she needs to yet. So I was feeling kind of down, and though I didn't realize it until later, perhaps a little homesick because, while the weather here in Arizona has been beautiful, I wanted it to feel like winter--or at least, the winters I'm used to back home in Texas. And then it rained! Super hard, and all day long.

Most people would probably think this would make things worse, but not for me. I've always loved the rain, and back in Texas it's always cloudy and wet in the wintertime. So the rain really helped lift my spirits and excite me about the work again, because now, not only do I get to experience what I never thought I would in Arizona--a thunderstorm--I also felt just a little more at home. And I know my Heavenly Father made it that way so I could have the optimism to go on.

The same day it rained (Friday), we had an appointment with that troublemaker of an investigator to see how the fast we challenged her to the day before worked. And it did! She was super excited and even more determined to come to church. She even agreed to let us come by in the morning to make sure she came. So I got a double-dose of my Heavenly Father's love for me this last Friday. And I know that there were probably countless other ways He helped me out that day, and every day.

With this new thing I'll be doing, by telling you all about the tender mercies I experience each week, I hope I will come to recognize even more my Heavenly Father's hand in my life, and I challenge each one of you to do the same. I promise that you will find more happiness and contentment in your life, no matter what trials you may be going through.

Check out this video by Elder Bednar about tender mercies!


No comments:

Post a Comment